Sunday, September 25, 2016



Digital Blog post #D- Chapter 5
The first concept I want to talk about really bothers me, it comes from the section “e-Books and e-Readers”. I strongly feel that in this aspect the technology we have is ruining the fun of reading a book. The statistics are clearly stated that the percent of students not even picking up a book has increased. I feel like picking up a book at the end of a night is one of the most relaxing things to do. For young children it is better for them to have a hard book so they can actually turn the page look at the pictures more closely than if they were using an e-Book. Yes there are some beneficial sides to using an e-Book if it is hard to find that book in stores or a library, but otherwise reduce the amount of screen time a young child will have in anyways you can. I know growing up we always had the option to use e-Books for our textbooks, but I would always opt out and use the old fashion textbook, because I had learned better that way. I feel like if they made all students use e-Books it would not benefit the students who learn better from the textbook.
The second topic I would like to discuss comes from “Becoming Fluent with Technology”. I do agree that students learn better by doing hands on rather than learning it from a book. In high school I was put into a lever 2 T.V production class. I had never been in one before or knew how to work anything in the studio. By the time I graduated high school I was the best anchor they had and knew how to run everything in the studio. In some things students would rather do trial and error to figure things out rather than go by a manual. When you do trial and error you also find knew things on your electronic to do, which you normally wouldn’t find by going by the book. It also is more interesting to students when they can figure it out by themselves.
The third topic I would like to talk about is in the section “Electronic Note-Taking”. When I did classroom observations all the students had these computers called cromebooks. They were laptops the schools gave to the students for homework, classwork, projects, and note taking. I think in the day in age we live in that students can type up notes faster and use short hand, then later go back and retype their notes the correct way. Most students spend more time on their electronics then they do actually writing so they are faster at it. This could also help minimize the teachers issues of not being able to read the students handwriting. This also allows for the teachers to keep tract of the students notes and when assignments are due. It shows how many are turned in before the deadline and if students come into class and that number rises the teacher knows they are late.

Resources:

 Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park
      (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson 
      Education, Inc.

 GoogleForEducation. "Chromebooks for Educators." Youtube. Google, 16 May 2012. Web. 25 Sept. 

      2016. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSbZQNJwPuI>.

No comments:

Post a Comment