Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Digital Blog Post #G - Chapter 10
             Our question is what is reflective writing? In my own opinion I believe reflective writing is when you read something and instead of summarizing it or taking notes. You think about what you have read and think about how it can relate back to you in some way. It makes you think critically and out of the box.
             I think reflective writing is more beneficial than summarizing or note taking. When you reflect you are able to connect it to what is going on in your life helping you remember what you read better. I use to use reflective writing in a lot of my classes like this one for example. When I read the chapter I think about how I can use the new technology in my class I currently have or in future classes. It is a good way to think about what you have done in class and how you can improve it with technology.
             The first concept I want to talk about is at the very beginning. When Dan has a dilemma, it is one that every teacher faces. How do we make our classroom so every child has a chance to learn without leaving one learning style behind? I face this issue everyday in my own classroom. Every single student you have is different and learn differently. This is something I struggle with to figure out. I think the best way for a teacher to accomplish teaching every student to their learning way is finding out which way they learn. Then splitting them into groups where they can work with other students who learn the same way as them.
             The next concept I would like to talk about is from the section "Multicultural Education in the 21st Century Schools". This section is basically talking about how when we teach a lesson we need to relate it back to different cultures. Even though schools have dedicated months to different cultures they need to talk about them more than just then. I remember back in high school my history teacher would take every opportunity he could to talk about what was going around in the world at that time period with different race. It is good for students to learn about their different traditions and what they have gone through.
            The third concept I would like to talk about comes from the section "Creating Culturally Relevant Curriculum and Instruction". It talks about how students remember things the best by when they can relate the things back to them. I remember back in high school I used to always complain about vocabulary words and how we had to put them into sentences we would remember. Still to this day I remember sentences he wanted us to write and the vocabulary words and each meant, because he allowed us to connect it to whatever we wanted. I think when teachers do this it helps to allow the students to relate it back to what they want and care about.

https://flipquiz.me/u/g-jamiexoxo/reflective-writing

Resources:

 Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park
      (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson 
      Education, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment