Saturday, November 5, 2016

Digital Blog Post #J- Chapter 11
      My first concept comes from the section "Test assessments and performance evaluations". I think from being an educator already that there are more ways then just the old fashion test and quizzes to evaluate a students progress. I know working with young students we are constantly evaluating our students in a non traditional way. I am always taking observations to make sure they are developing appropriately or are doing the same things as their classmates. We make it into fun little games to see if they can stand on one leg (to make sure their motor skills are there) see if they can throw and catch a ball when you throw it at them. I personally would rather evaluate my students in a fun way rather then always sitting them down for a paper test. It is not really the same for teacher evaluations. I remember back in high school the principal would always pop into classes just for a few minutes to make sure the class is going smoothly and the teachers are doing the right thing.
      For my second concept I would like to talk about comes from the section "Portfolios and refection". This to me seems like it is your resume and kid of like this blog. You get to talk yourself up in the portfolios to sound good for your future employee. For the refection you get to talk about what went good in your classroom what worked and what didn't. This is a great way for a teacher to keep track of different activities they did with the students and how they went over so for the next year you have an idea of how it will go. You can also use reflections to go back and see what you can fix for next time and why it did not work this time. It is a good way to keep all your projects and crafts in order and on track. It also can help if you have a challenging student to write about and then come back to it after you have calmed down and think about how you can change the situation for next time or what you could have done differently.
      For my last concept I would like to talk about comes from the section " Involving Students in Learning and Assessments". I am a firm believer that students will be more likely to do their work if you give them to options of what they want to do. I will agree with this section a classroom works better as a democracy. If you allow the students to decide if they are ready to take a test then odds are when you take the test the scores will be higher. Also what I have notices while doing homework with some of the school aged students at my daycare for their spelling homework they are given a paper with several different options on how they would like to do their spelling. The only rule is they have to pick three of the options and have them done by Friday. When I talked to the teachers they said they had seen a increase in students doing their homework this way. I think when students feel like they are also in charge they are willing to work with you and do what you need. In my classroom we use conscious discipline. This is were you give the students choices if they want to do one thing or another thing. This way you are not disciplining them in the old fashion way, but still are with allowing them to pick what they want.

Resources:
 Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.
Made with Padlet

No comments:

Post a Comment